There are two types of ninja stars – wheel type and stick type. And we will show you how you can make a wheel type paper ninja star step-by-step.
Ninja star, a famous Japanese weapon, is called shuriken or throwing stars. They come in different sizes and shapes too.
The one we are going to make is a basic 4 pointed ninja star. We are using two colors to make this ninja star. All you need to do this Origami craft is two origami sheets.
If you don’t have origami paper, you can use the normal craft paper or construction paper.
So, let’s start?
Before moving onto the craft, we would appreciate it very much if you will check out our Youtube channel and subscribe to it. We upload new easy craft tutorials every week there. Thanks in advance!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which simply means that if you happen to purchase something, I get a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
– Construction paper (to do this craft, make square sheets of size 15cm)
How to make a simple paper shuriken
1. Take two origami sheets. If you don’t have the standard origami square paper, you can use construction paper. Make sure to cut it as a square of size 15 cm.
Here we used two colors to make it prettier.
2-3. Fold both the papers in half horizontally as shown in the pics 2 and 3.
4. Make a crease.
5-6. Fold both the papers in half again, and make creases too.
7. Unfold all the folds and spread them open.
8-9. Now, fold the top and bottom edges towards the centre making the creases we made earlier as reference (see pics 8 and 9).
10. The paper model should look like this now.
11-12. Fold it again as shown in pics 11 and 12.
13-14. Repeat the same steps with the other paper too.
15-16. The paper models should be looking like this now (pics 15 and 16).
17-18. Fold the papers from left to right (or right to left) as shown in pics 17 and 18, and make a crease.
19. Fold both the papers as shown in pic 19.
21-22. Hold the paper as shown in the picture and fold the left edge at an angle of 90 degree towards the top. Make a crease.
When you fold upwards make sure to fold it along the vertical crease in the middle. Do not fold beyond the crease we made in step 19.
23-24. In the same way, fold the right edge at 90 degrees, downwards. And make a crease.
Next, we are going to repeat the same folding with the second piece of paper, but with a DIFFERENCE.
Both the papers should be folded like mirror images of each other to form the ninja star. Hence, for the second piece of paper, we make the folds in the opposite direction.
25. Take the second piece of paper. Fold the right edge at an angle of 90 degrees towards the top. And make a crease.
26. Fold the left edge at 90 degrees towards the bottom.
27. Now, both the papers look like the mirror images of each other.
28. Flip both the papers over.
29. You can see two small squares at the top and bottom of these paper pieces. We are going to make folds on the squares to form triangles.
Take the first piece of paper and fold the top right corner towards the bottom left corner diagonally as seen in pic 29. It should form a triangle.
30. Similarly, make a fold in the bottom square. Fold from bottom left corner towards the top right corner diagonally, to form a triangle.
31-33. Do the same with the second piece of paper.
34. After completing the above steps, both the paper pieces should look like the ones in pic 34.
35-38. We are going to make the final folds to form the ninja star. Before that, here we fold the triangular pieces towards the center and make creases, to make the final folding easier.
You can just follow the pictures and do the same. After folding, unfold them to go back to their previous shapes, as shown in pic 38.
39. Now, hold the paper pieces exactly as shown in the pic 39. The green piece is kept facing front forward and the brown one is held facing its backside towards us.
40. Place the brown piece on top of the green piece like shown in pics 40 and 41.
As you can see there are two triangles on the brown paper. There are two pockets inside the triangles too.
In the next steps, we will insert the corners of green paper into the pockets of the brown paper.
42. Can you see a pocket on the right side of the brown paper piece? Open it.
43-44. Insert the top triangular portion of the green paper piece into the pocket of the brown paper as shown in pics 43 and 44.
45. The completed image should look like this.
46-48. Now, what we do is, insert the bottom trianglar portion of the green paper piece into the left pocket of the brown paper.
49. The completed image should look like this.
50. Flip both the papers over together.
You can see two pockets on the green paper as well – one on top and one on bottom.
51-53. Now, insert the right corner of the brown paper into the top pocket of the green paper.
54-55. And insert the left triangular corner of the brown paper into the bottom pocket of the green paper.
55. The paper ninja star is ready!
Have fun with it and let us know in the comments below how it went for you.
Video tutorial to make Origami ninja star
In case you have any doubt regarding any step, feel free to watch the step-by-step video tutorial below. Please make sure you also subscribe to our Youtube channel to get more craft ideas every week.